As the granddaughter of an Italian immigrant who came to America via Ellis Island, we are lucky that America became our home. I am proud of my Italian heritage and America’s extraordinary mosaic of ethnicities that make it a rich melting pot of cultures and the great country it is today. Here in the Central Valley, immigrant and migrant farmworkers are the lifeblood of the Ag Industry. My husband John has been farming for 35 years here and we know first hand how much growers depend on these hard working laborers to harvest the crops that feed us and the world! We must pass the Farmworkers Modernization Act which would grant work permits, green cards, and a path to citizenship to those employed in agriculture. Consumers, growers, and laborers would benefit from a stable workforce.
We need to make sure we are fighting for comprehensive immigration reform; a reform that is fair and just. A focus on keeping Californians safe with secure borders is imperative. My overall reform plan will include:
- Enhance Middle-Class Tax Credits: Advocate for policies that strengthen tax credits for the middle class.
- Accessible Health Insurance: Support measures to ensure affordable health insurance for all.
- Stable Child Care Support: Promote sustained child care support regardless of income levels.
- Food Assistance: Advocate for accessible food assistance to meet everyday needs for struggling individuals.
- Economic Foundation: Recognize that a thriving consumer base is essential for a robust economy starting with guaranteeing the ability for workers to earn a dignified wage.
- Small Business – Refund the Small Business Administration and provide services that are meaningful and viable support